En 03c War Laws
3c. Laws for the Army and War
[021/15] In early times, Finda’s folk lived mostly together in their mother’s native land — called ‘Aldland’, which now lies under the sea. They were thus far away, so that we had no wars. But when they became displaced and moved in to rob us, it naturally led to defence, armies, kings, and wars. Rules were established for all these things, and from the rules came laws. Here follow the laws that were thus established:
1. Every Frya must ward off attackers or enemies with all such weapons as he can invent, procure, and use.
2. When a boy is twelve years old, he must devote one day in seven to learning how to use weapons. 
3. When he is skilled, he is to be given weapons and named as a defender.
4. When he has been a defender for three years, he becomes a burg lord and may help elect his headmen.
5. When he has been an elector for seven years, he may help elect an army leader or king, as well as be chosen himself.
6. Every three years, new elections shall be held.
7. Except for the king, all other officials may be re-elected if they have acted righteously and according to Frya’s counsel.
8. A king may not remain king for longer than three years, in order that he may not become entrenched, to the detriment of our freedom.
9. After seven years of retirement, he may be chosen again.
10. If the king is killed by the enemy, his next of kin may be nominated for the honor.
11. If he retires normally or dies within his term of service, he may not be succeeded by a relative nearer than the fourth degree.
12. Those who fight with weapons in their  hands cannot contemplate and keep a level head. Therefore, it does not befit a king to wield weapons in battle. His wisdom must be his weapon and the love of his champions his shield.
[p.33 cont.] Here Follow the Laws which were thus Established.
1. Every Frisian must resist the assailants with such weapons as he can procure, invent, and use. [p.35]
2. When a boy is twelve years old he must devote one day in seven to learning how to use his weapons.
3. As soon as he is perfect in the use of them they are to be given to him, and he is to be admitted as a warrior.
4. After serving as a warrior three years, he may become a citizen, and may have a vote in the election of the headman.
5. When he has been seven years a voter he then may have a vote for the chief or king, and may be himself elected.
6. Every year he must be re-elected.
7. Except the king, all other officials are re-eligible who act according to Frya's laws.
8. No king may be in office more than three years, in order that the office may not be permanent.
9. After an interval of seven years he may be elected again.
10. If the king is killed by the enemy, his nearest relative may be a candidate to succeed. him.
11. If he dies a natural death, or if his period of service has expired, he shall not be succeeded by any blood relation nearer than the fourth degree.
12. Those who fight with arms are not men of counsel, therefore no king must bear arms. His wisdom must be his weapon, and the love of his warriors his shield.
Next Chapter: En 03d At War